Sunday, May 11, 2008

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! To ME! :)

I have waited all my life for this day. I never realized I have either. Until this day arrived. Last night as I rocked Anthony before I put him in his crib, I started to cry-and I couldn't control it. I cried and I pulled Anthony even closer to me. He was crying, and I was crying along with him. Happy tears of course. Because I was about to celebrate my first Mother's Day. The years of heartaches, tests, needles, doctor appointments, shots, medicine, ultrasounds, surgeries, negative pregnancy tests were all worth it-to be able to wake up this morning, walk into the boys nursery and see two sets of the most beautiful eyes you will ever see. My sons. Mine. I am a mother. A mom. My miracles. The ones I yearned for for years. When we were dealing with infertility, I never knew then why it wasn't happening. Why we were not getting pregnant. Now I know. My boys were not ready to meet me. The timing wasn't right. But it most certainly is now. 

Today was an amazing day. It is now officially my favorite holiday. We don't even have to do anything. There is nothing in this world more rewarding than being a mother. Nothing. Today we took the boys to Stanley Park, which is the same park where Tony asked me to marry him. It was a beautiful day and I tried to savour every moment. We sat in the grass with the boys and had lunch. We took pictures. We walked around. Most of all-I enjoyed being a mom. Watching my boys look around at their new surroundings-touching the grass, pulling dandelions, looking up at the bright blue sky, listening to the cars whizzing by, looking at the bright blossomed tulips. I held my boys close, whispered in their ear "I love you" over and over again. I let them touch my face, bite my finger, drool all over me. Things only a mother could love. And I did. 

After the park we went looking for a tree to plant to remember this Mother's Day. We didn't find one yet. It has to be just the right one. Then we came home and cleaned and got ready for dinner. We were having both sets of parents over for dinner. It was really a good time. We gave our gifts to our moms-which we a huge hit. We got them 3 photos of the boys done at the photographer's house, and then a photo book of the boys first six months of life. They loved them! 

After dinner we watched videos of Nicholas laughing hysterically at the dog. Then the video of him jumping to "Cotton Eye Joe." I looked over at my parents, sister, sister-in-law, mother-in-law, and husband all sitting there laughing, with tears running down their faces. These boys have brought so much joy into our lives, as well as everyone else's. I just savoured that moment of how happy everyone was. I never imagined a child could do that-let alone two of them. 

Thank you boys for making me the proudest mother in the world. I love you both! 

No comments: