Sunday, June 15, 2008

HAPPY FIRST FATHER'S DAY!

On February 19, 2007, Tony became a dad. That was the day I took a home pregnancy test and it was positive. I still remember Tony's reaction when I told him we were expecting. He was a bit confused("How do you know?"), but I explained it to him, we embraced, and cried 4 years of frustrations away... On March 12, 2007, Tony became a father-to twins. That was the day of our first ultrasound. My beta number was 126. A nice healthy number...we thought for one. I secretly wanted 2, but was more than thrilled with 1. I think we both thought one-as well as the nurse and the ultrasonographer. Well-we all know how that turned out! She said, "There's one with a heartbeat, and oh boy Meaghan-there's TWO!" I immediately started crying and laughing at the same time. Tony turned around and chuckled and said, "Oh my God!" It was then on-he embraced twins. 

He didn't freak out. He didn't worry. He didn't sweat. Instead-he got excited. Sure-he wondered about money-but who doesn't? Even with one baby? You will NEVER have enough money. Or the perfect house, perfect job. But what will you have? What's the most important in the life of a child? Love. And Tony gives that 110%. Tony has always shown such joy and excitement when talking about the boys-long before they were here. There are so many things he wants to experience with them-it's almost tiring! They have a busy schedule ahead of them! From soccer, to fishing, to camping, to planting a garden, to doing homework together, cooking, riding bicycles. You name it-he want's to do it. What more can you ask for? 

I could write PAGES on how great a father he is. I honestly could. I couldn't have picked a better father for my children if I tried. He is everything a child would want in a father. When he wakes in the morning, he comes down the stairs, and the boys immediately look towards the stairs and the voice. As soon as they see him, they smile from ear to ear. The both usually start kicking their feet and flailing their hands in excitement. He will spend a few minutes with them(on the day I get up early with them) and make them laugh, and then get ready for his day. Once he returns home from work, you don't hear, "Meg, let me go get changed. Meg, let me relax for a little while." Won't hear those words. Instead it's, "Give him to me." He wants them as soon as he walks in the door-and again-they are filled with excitement once they see him. They just love their daddy! I see it everyday in those smiles. Everyday. And when I go out alone, and he stays home with the boys. I don't worry. I know he can handle it. And he does a great job at it. Most fathers would freak out being alone with A baby, let alone TWO. Not Tony. He looks forward to it. Alone time with his boys...

So Tony-I may not tell you often enough, or I may nag you from time to time on your "parenting," but I want you to know that I think and know you do an AMAZING job with the boys. Amazing. I know I tell you to stop playing, because it's bedtime, or they're cranky, or whatever the reason may be. But when I stop and think about it, I think that's just silly. Play all you want. You'll never get those moments back and they are spending quality time with their father. So what if bedtime is off. That's something so minor. Instead-I need to look at it as a father WANTING to spend time with his children. WANTING to love them. WANTING to dote on them at every chance. WANTING to make them laugh and smile. And most of all? WANTING to be a father. 

On this June 15th, 2008, your first Father's Day, I want to thank you for being a wonderful father to Nicholas and Anthony. The boys are little, but they will soon realize, if they haven't already, what a special father you really are. Happy Father's Day! We love you! 

No comments: